Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The road to self-discovery is paved with good intentions?




It's Tuesday! I hope your Monday was productive and full of pleasant surprises. Since I just graduated college last month I moved back home hopefully until September 1st when I'll be moving to L.A. to peruse a career.  I took a day off yesterday from career searching, researching, and blogging (a surprisingly unexpected break) and focused on enjoying life. I spent the day with my niece watching Goosebumps, cooking, and baking. We made some pretty fun galaxy cookies (multi-colored swirl cookies shaped like stars). That was probably the best part of my summer so far (and it's only June)!



As much as I love blogging, doing research, and figuring out who I am...sometimes I just need a break. It can feel overwhelming when you are constantly on the computer researching even if you enjoy learning about new topics all of the time. Spending time with my family is always a good way for me to be able stop and smell the roses. Our constant conversations stimulate my mind and help me think of new topics for my blog. Even though I said I take a break I didn't say I completely stop working. Some of the most successful people are constantly working ;however, they still find time to stop and breathe.

It's ok to slow down, pace yourself, and experience life every now and than. While I do plan on being a 30 under 30 I realize that my health (physical and mental) play an important role in my success. So if you haven't done so already go outside, bake cookies, watch movies, dance, and enjoy life for a second. There is a world outside of the internet.






On to other news...have you ever seen Sassy Pants (see picture way at the top)? Probably not, it's a hidden gem in the world of Netflix that I happen to come across recently. It features one of my favorite up and coming actresses Ashley Rickards (MTV's Awkward) and I have to say she is just as relate-able in this film as she is in Awkward.  I don't want to spoil it too much and tell you EVERYTHING about the movie just know I think it's "totes" perfect.



One of the reasons I do love this movie so much is because of a particular theme. Self-discovery. Like many 20-somethings I am still discovering who I am. When I was in elementary school I wanted to be a teacher, singer, dancer, ballerina, actress, artist, and astronaut. When I got to middle school I wanted to be a singer or the president ( I had pretty big dreams). When I got to high school I finally decided that journalism was where my heart was. Each year I wanted to be something else: political journalist, sports journalist, fashion journalist, journalist for CNN or MSNBC.

This hasn't changed much. Today, I am still on the quest for discovering who I am and what I want to be and that's really not a problem. Why should anyone tell me who I am and what I should be aiming for.

Dable in everything and explore everywhere. You can't expect people to tell you who you are and if they do you shouldn't accept it.



As the quote above states happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You can't spoon feed yourself or anyone else the perfect life. Where's the fun in that?

I am consistently evolving everyday and changing into the person I WANT to be. Took me 20 years to decide that my dream wasn't going to be what my father wanted, my brothers wanted, or even my mother. But that's ok because my journey isn't theirs. So who are you living for, someone else or yourself?

Love,

Ashley Nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment