Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Woman Crush Wednesday: Banks

 


"Baby, be patient for me
& please don't fall in love with someone new
I promise one day I'll come back for you"-Someone New, Banks



Follow Her Music:


Twitter.Facebook.SoundCloud


Have you ever cried during 90% of an album or felt an unexplained connection to an artists voice? This is exactly what I experienced when I decided to stream the deluxe edition of songstress Banks debut album Goddess. Her voice is easily comparable to the likes of a modern-day Fiona Apple with the lyrical prowess of Amy Winehouse and Adele.

As I write this post I realize that many of you might not know who this LA-based beauty is. Jillian Banks is an R&B singer (because I hate the term alternative R.&B) who first emerged on the scene in 2013 with her single "Before I Ever Met You". Quickly she began to rise to stardom when she toured internationally with fellow artist The Weekend during his Kiss Land tour.

Earlier this year Banks announced she would be releasing her debut album Goddess on Sept 8th which would feature Shlohmo and Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs as producers. Four tracks to be exact are produced by Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs and one of them happens to be my favorite, Under The Table. It shows a softer side to Banks voices that isn't easily seen on the other tracks but can easily be fallen in love with.

Someone New is another easy listen on the album that allows the listener to focus solely on Banks voice as she pairs it with an acoustic guitar. The song comes off more as a diary entry. A sound that is not easily found in R&B today. A look into the soul of a woman asking for a lover to await her return as she discovers herself.

I'm not a huge fan of purchasing albums now that everything is easily streamed on SoundCloud, Spotify, Youtube and etc but Goddess will be one of the few that I will be purchasing this fall.



Goddess Tracklist:

1.  Alibi
 2. Goddess
3. Waiting Game
4. Brain
5. This Is What It Feels Like
6. You Should Know Where I’m Coming From
7. Stick
8. Fuck Em Only We Know
9. Drowning
10. Beggin’ For Thread
11. Change
12. Someone New
13. Warm Water
14. Under The Table
15. And I Drove You Crazy *
16. Bedroom Wall *
17. Fall Over *
18. Before I Ever Met You *

*  deluxe edition

Bold favorite tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment