Thursday, July 24, 2014

Ashlee Cee to Ashley Clayton: My social media Journey

Download / By Jay Wennington

I remember when Myspace first came on the scene. I was obsessed with it. I ran a Myspace layout site, attempted to be a site model, and had several role play accounts (yes I was an anime role player). When Facebook started rising in popularity I switched over and instantly attempted to learn how to use the site and became just as obsessed. Now years later I have fallen in love with all forms of social media.



At first I attempted to keep my social media life and my personal life separate. Why? Well that's what I have always been taught in school. However, that is not the case any longer. Depending on what you want to do as a career utilizing social media might be your only option. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many internships and jobs I have applied to that ask for my Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, even Tumblr name so that they could verify my social media knowledge.

That's when I realized it was time for me to drop my nickname of Ashlee Cee on all my social media accounts and finally call myself Ashley Clayton (Ashley Nicole for my blog). Now I can utilize each network to its full potential in job searching. I have even received information about potential job opportunities, internships, and sponsorship programs by simply being more available online.

Here's a list of how I use social media to find jobs and etc. (basically connecting with future employers):

LinkedIn-This is where it all started. I began joining pages to promote my blog and myself. I haven't found this to be useful for anything other than showing that I have an interest in topics on my profile. I have always loved LinkedIn for being a place that professionals can meet. I do think that LinkedIn is best used for staying connected as opposed with getting connected with business professionals. So if I had the opportunity to tell someone what to use this site for I would suggest just that. Use it to stay connected with people you have met not people you would like to meet.

Twitter- I honestly didn't know how useful Twitter was for getting connected with professionals and finding a job. My blog has soared due to the interactions I have made with people and the type of tweets I have begun tweeting. Bloggers, sites helping bloggers, social media experts, and entrepreneurs have started to follow me like crazy. Plus it's always refreshing to be able to have actual conversations with people who don't just tweet #Daquan. Also have you ever tried searching twitter for jobs? Hashtags are one of the best ways to find a job on the internet in my opinion. I am already a Twitter addict so being able to search for a job on Twitter makes job hunting a lot more fun for me.

Facebook- When I first got my Facebook I decided that I wanted to keep it separate from all of my professional accounts. I used the name Ashlee Cee than Ashlee Clayton to avoid associating the two. We're always spoon fed horror stories of how companies don't want to see images of from our personal lives that are too graphic or potentially hurt your character. So I kept the two separate until Twe1ve2. My blog caused me to realize the importance of Facebook. I have grown the number of views and followers. Not to mention learned tons of blogging techniques.

Facebook has always been an amazing way to connect with people and as of today I now understand it's importance in finding a job. I actually was sent information for a part-time position because I responded back to a woman in a Facebook group! If you ask me Facebook is the best tool for all job hunting needs.

Some pretty useful sites (non social media): Craigslist, Indeed, Snagajob, Elance (I love this site), and Muse!

Are there any sites that you think are great for finding a job?

Love,

Ashley Nicole.

 

P.S. I am officially apart of my first Bloggers Network (HerCampus)!

36 comments:

  1. I found my current job on SnagAJob! it was a really useful tool for me, and I have recommended it to a bunch of my friends when they look for jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to check linkedin out. I think it would be great to connect with others on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info! I used to think twitter was useless, but now that I have a blog, I use it almost everyday to update people about my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always try and tell people to not take LinkedIn for granted. I've gotten so many amazing opportunity from LinkedIn and the networking that comes from that site is amazing. I also ran a layout Myspace site <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have LinkedIn but not active with that. I also have myspace and friendster before. Social media is a long journey for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when Myspace was in its prime. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Social media is no longer a fad, but part of our culture. The opportunities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have no idea how many opps Ive gotten via social media. Be careful with craigslist tho...
    xo,
    Dee Trillo
    http://HauteFrugalista.com
    @HauteFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how far social media has come, before it was little and now it's become something essential for people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always used LinkedIn and Craigslist when looking for jobs, and then just local listings. I used to do the same thing with Myspace.. now my personal accounts are even my blog accounts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely need to get into LinkedIn, I made an account but never use it! That's going to change soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too was obsessed with Myspace and thought I'd never go to Facebook and Twitter and now here I am on everything. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. See this is concerning for me because for me "Facebook" is how I communicate and share photos of my kids with my family. I don't think a company out there should judge me by my posts I share with my family. I can see having a public googleplus page or a professional twitter account, but facebook is a whole other ballgame and any company that hires me shouldn't have to know my 2 year old pooped his pants the other day and have them presume I'm a bad mom because I didn't catch it in enough time. Things like this make me feel like I have no privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list with wonderful tips! Sometimes I miss myspace lol [showing my age]. I really enjoyed the personalization of it all. It was always fun to add music depending on my mood. I rarely remember to get on my linkedin. I'm terrible about it actually. I do tweet all day though. I love twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Social media is addicting. I use it to promote my business, but also to connect with my friends from all over. I think Twitter is the hardest one for me to feel comfortable with. I just don't "get" it. No clue on job social media though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely agree but it's not all companies that require that information. For me I'm looking for a job in marketing and public relations. Both career fields rely heavy on social media ,therefore, companies want to make sure that applicants know how to use them. I find the best way to provide the information and avoid having companies judge me for a post is to make sure that my post isn't public and can ALWAYS only be viewed by my friends. That way everyone wins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I completely agree craigslist can be dangerous. Thus, if I don't see some way to verify that it is a real company than I won't respond to an advertisement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep 2 account in most social media one is family and fun the second business and blog. I love to play and joke around with my family and I dont want that part of my life to be public

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been through each social media addiction at least once. Social media is the hardest part of blogging to me. I can't seem to keep them all up at the same time. I can keep one running smoothly but it takes nearly all I have and then the others suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We want to move to Florida in November, trying to secure a job for my hubby in the Residential Maintenance field fro up here in MN. Been tough, we may just move and have him find a job when we get there, I need to use Linked in more for job searching. Those are the sites I use. Oh Backpage is pretty good I think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love social medias and enjoy the benefits of using them especially for my blog or looking for a career. I am using a nickname only on my first name but it's a nickname that my friends used to call me and almost sound the same at my real name. It's really hard to separate personal account and public, i find it hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never been asked about my social media accounts for nay job I've applied for. The problem I have with elance though is that unless you're willing to work at 3rd world rates, you can't find much work due to the overwhelming competition.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree that facebook plays a role in finding jobs today. I have just started this year getting to know the other social media places. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made the attempt at separating social media from life too, but that didn't work out for me. ;) It's amazing how much people are using for everything, myself included.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the idea of using two accounts for everything. I can't believe I never thought of it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I used my friends to find jobs. I think LinkedIn is definitely growing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very useful tip, actually! I have two accounts- one blog, one personal. My personal has a Cee in it too lol
    May have to consider changing it :P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Social Media has changed our lives dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never really thought of social media sites as a way to get a job. I've use Craigslist before though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pretty awesome! My major is strategic communication aka "mass comm, advertising, and graphic design". It is really refreshing reading and following your journey as your finding jobs doing the stuff you like! #Insipired maybe one day I will have to change all of my social media names from "BiaMafia" to Bianca Brown lol I don't think anybody wants to be associated with the Mafia very much lol. (We will see how intimidating I can make my character will still having a sexy feminine edge like a black tomb raider or something)

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow such refreshing to read this article of yours! i do blog full time! and i must say that most of my linkdin connections are all professionals and mostly thats where my sponsors found me

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've had a very similar experience with social media! If done correctly, it can lead to great opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Social Media is such an integral part of life now. It's really hard to try to keep it separate from the rest of your life. I think more important would be to know how to be social media savvy and not post things that can be damaging to your career in future.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are right, besides Facebook those other sites are great for finding jobs. It is amazing how a few friends who knows a few friends can help you secure a job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I remember site models.. hahah I joined Myspace like right after it was made, before anyone knew what it was. I also design layouts for it as well. I was on there until it was officially pointless in 2010, 7 years on there... What was your layout site name on there? I had a few from The Layout Site to Combat Boot Design to Dejavu Chicks.. haha I still have my design's page on there.. I don't remember the login though. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These all are great sites. You can also look on niche sites such as Inbound.org, Sharbloc, etc.

    ReplyDelete