Thursday, November 20, 2014

I don't hate Kim Kardashian.

tumblr_nfaznl8qav1qb3f11o1_1280


I somehow found myself on Buzzfeed arguing about how Kim Kardashian became a "celebrity" recently. It's a well-known fact that I think she's an amazing entrepreneur, mother, and person. However, many people don't believe the same and in all honestly I respect their opinions. So I'm not going to try to argue against that but what I am questioning is why do we dislike her?



The argument I happened to get into was the purpose behind the Kim Kardashian sex tape. One person stated "...she was not victimised . Kim Kardashian's first gained media attention through her friendship with Paris Hilton, but she received wider notice after a 2003 sex tape with her former boyfriend Ray J was leaked in 2007 which she put out alongside Ray J to set her path to being a "Celebrity"."

Another commenter noted "You're an idiot if you think that that hobbit had nothing to do with the release of that sex tape. She agreed to be put on tape and she got peed on"

I found both comments to be disgusting. Is it wrong for a woman to agree to be on tape with her boyfriend? If you agree to make a sex tape with anyone are you automatically agreeing for them to do with the tape as they wish?

I don't know about you but that doesn't sound politically correct. As stated before many people dislike her because that's where HER particular fame came from (not from her dad being an amazing lawyer or anything) but does it make it right to say that she was in the wrong?

Every generation has a woman who goes against the grain so much that people chastise her for it.

kimmarilyn

 

(http://www.acclaimmag.com/lifestyle/kanye-west-calls-kim-kardashian-modern-marilyn-monroe/)


Back in the 1950's early 60's it was Marilyn Monroe. Yes, I am making a Marilyn Monroe Kim Kardashian connection because they are barely any different.

The only difference between the two was that Marilyn wasn't raised with money and when she was younger there were multiple attempts to sexually assault Marilyn by Ervin Silliman "Doc" Goddard. Yes, that is awful. Honestly it's disgusting to ever sexually assault anyone let alone a child but that's not what this post is about.

Both women are sex symbols.

Both women posed nude.

Both women have sex tapes.

Both women were/are involved with charities.

Both women were/are loved/hated.

Both women were successful outside of showing their body.

tumblr_nexutsSH1r1shqrq2o1_1280

So what makes Kim Kardashian's story so much worse? Is it because we've blocked out Marilyn's and only remember what she looked like and the pretty little quote pictures that are seen everywhere?
“Maybe my fairy tale has a different ending than I dreamed it would. But that's OK.”

“You make mistakes, but I don't have any regrets. I'm the kind of person who takes responsibility for it and deals with it. I learn from everything I do. I work very hard, I have so many things going on in my life. Get to know me and see who I am.”

“I know people think we drive around in these nice cars and we do whatever we want and our parents will pay our credit cards, but that's not the case. Sure, my parents were generous; I got a nice car at 16, but at 18 I was cut off. I've worked really hard. I opened the store myself.”

“I've always been the type to fall in love fast and, with every boyfriend, I plan out my wedding in my head.”

“I remember when the wave of Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek and these beautiful Hispanic women came into light, and I looked up to them and I loved them, but I was like, 'Where are Middle Eastern women?”

“I feel lazy when I'm not working. I learned all my business sense from my dad. He always believed in me, and I think the last thing he said to me before he passed away was, 'I know you're gonna be OK. I'm not worried about you'.”

Every last quote I just said was by Kim Kardashian...stop and reread. Again, every last quote I posted was by Kim Kardashian.

So the questions remain. Do we hate Kim Kardashian because she reminds us that sex is ok despite society continuously trying to tell us it isn't? Or do we simply see something in her that is in all of us that we're afraid of...repressed sexualization. A need and a want to be respected as sexual beings.

 

2 comments:

  1. I also love Kim Kardashian but I respectfully disagree with you on the Marilyn/Kim comparison, after all Marilyn was an actress.
    However I also think people are way too hard on Kim K and what's worse is thinking you're wrong for liking her work or just anything about her.
    Great post!

    xx Isaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment on the post! I completely agree with your statement on people being way to hard on Kim K and people who like anything about her. Also Marilyn Monroe started off as a model and eventually that led into acting which is nearly identical to what Kim has done. She has an IMDb with a series of stuff I never realized she was in.

    ReplyDelete